Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Why this blog

"Say sauce has wheat in it?!" "Corn flakes are not gluten free?"

When I talk about foods with my boyfriend who has celiac disease, it is always full of surprises. He has recently moved to Japan, where apparently nobody really pays attention whether what you are eating is gluten free or not. 

I lived in the States for about 5 years and have seen "gluten free" foods in supermarkets or have met friends who need to go gluten free. But ever since I moved back to Japan, I almost forgot about it... I've never seen gluten free label in Japanese supermarkets or restaurants. All I've seen is a tiny label that often says "contains wheat", but that's about it. 

Going gluten free in Japan has been, so far, much more difficult than I originally thought. My boyfriend still doesn't read Japanese, so I should be able to tell whether it's safe for him to eat or not by reading ingredients. But I don't have enough knowledge about what actually contains gluten (it's not just wheat, you know)! 

It is said Tokyo is one of the most "foodie" cities -- it has 80,000 restaurants, which is like 3.5 more than New York City. And yet it has been a bit tiring to eat out or simply buying grocery in this mega city. 

I'm starting this blog to document what I learn throughout this journey with him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment